The Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (FIHM), was founded in Pondicherry, India, on 16th October 1844 by Rev. Fr. Louis Savinien Dupuis, Missions Etrangeres de Paris (Paris Foreign Mission Society, MEP).
The Charism of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary is ‘the Sanctification of Sisters for the Sanctification of women’ and they follow the spirituality of St. Francis of Assisi. The motto of the Congregation is: ‘Love and Sacrifice.’ The main ministry is to educate women and the other ministries are Evangelization, Health care, Care for the aged, Pastoral and Social Service to achieve the specific objectives and Charism of the Congregation.
Totally there are Four Provinces and one Region in our congregation. St. Lourdes Province which is in Pondy – Cuddalore, St.Joseph’s Province in Trichy, Infant Jesus Province in Madurai and Assisi Province in Andhra Pradesh. Our only region is Dupuis Region located in East Africa